OUR PRIVACY PROMISE
The Big Umbrella (ABN 11 863 933 034) , trading as The Big Umbrella, is committed to protecting your privacy.
We are bound by the National Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). Where appropriate we will handle personal information relying on the employer exemption relating to employee records and the related bodies corporate exemption in the Privacy Act.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND WHY?
The Big Umbrella collects the personal information it needs to provide enhanced services and information to its customers and for its business operations. If you choose not to provide certain personal information to us, we may not be able to provide you with the services you require.
TO PROVIDE SERVICES AND PRODUCTS
If you apply for our services or products, we will collect information about you to help us to identify you, assess your application, provide you with the services and products you have requested, administer your account with us, and for related purposes. The information we collect will include your name and contact details and may also include other details such as your date of birth, driver’s licence number and residential address and (if necessary for payment purposes) your credit card or direct debiting details. We may also obtain credit information about you from a credit-reporting agency or from a credit provider. To provide you with our services and products and to administer your account with us, we will generate and process information about how you use our services and products.
When you apply for one of our services or products, we will usually also ask you if you would like to be contacted by us from time to time to keep you up to date with information about the products and services offered by The Big Umbrella and its affiliates and business partners and, if so, how you would like to be kept updated.
TO ASSIST WITH YOUR QUERIES
When you email info@TheBigUmbrella.org, we may collect your personal information to help us answer your query and, if you agree or ask, to keep you updated with information about products and services offered by us and our affiliates and business partners.
AS PART OF OUR GENERAL BUSINESS OPERATIONS
We also collect personal information about individuals who are, or are employed by, our suppliers (including product, service and content providers), contractors, dealers, related companies, agents and corporate customers. Generally, if appropriate, we will tell you why we are collecting personal information when we collect it and how we plan to use it or these things will be obvious when we collect the information.
HOW DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect most of our information about you directly from you but sometimes we may also collect your personal information indirectly, such as from credit reporting agencies, your authorised representative, publicly available sources of information, our own records about how you use your services or our related companies.
HOW DO WE USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We generally use and disclose your personal information for the purpose it was collected and for related purposes that would be reasonably expected by you.
PROVIDING YOU WITH PRODUCTS AND SERVICES AND FOR OPERATING OUR BUSINESS
For example, when you apply for our products and services, we may use your personal information to assess your application, provide you with those products and services and collect overdue payments. When you provide your personal information to us (including through The Big Umbrella website) to register your details, send us a query or other, we will use your personal information for the purpose you provided it.
KEEPING YOU INFORMED ABOUT SERVICES AND PRODUCTS
Where you have agreed or asked, we may also use your personal information to keep you up to date with information about the products and services offered by The Big Umbrella and its affiliates and business partners. If you do not want us to use your personal information in this way, you can always let us know by emailing us info@TheBigUmbrella.org.
IMPROVING SERVICES AND PRODUCTS AND CONDUCTING OUR BUSINESS
When we collect your personal information, we may also use it to help us to carry out market and product analysis and to assist us with marketing products and services and so that we can continue to deliver enhanced services and products. As part of conducting our business, personal information may also be used to maintain and develop our business systems, including testing and upgrading them.
RESOLVING COMPLAINTS OR LEGAL PROCEEDINGS
It may also be necessary for us to use your personal information to help investigate and resolve queries or complaints or in connection with disputes or legal proceedings.
DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
For the purposes we have described, we may also disclose your personal information:
• to our suppliers (including product, service and content providers), contractors, dealers, related companies and agents;
• to government agencies or individuals appointed by a government responsible for the investigation and resolution of disputes or complaints concerning your use of our services and products;
• to anyone to whom our assets or business (or any part of it) is transferred; or
• where you have otherwise consented.
• We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the persons and organisations to whom we disclose personal information are bound to protect the privacy of that personal information.
WHERE LAWS REQUIRE OR PERMIT OTHER USE OR DISCLOSURE
There may also be other circumstances where we may be permitted or required by applicable laws to use or disclose personal information about you, including your name, address, phone number and other details. For example, these may include:
• disclosures to the operator of the Integrated Public Number Database for the purposes of inclusion in that database to facilitate the management and verification of telephone numbers, assistance to emergency services and law enforcement agencies and other approved purposes (this obligation is mandatory, and includes the details of persons who are unlisted, are registered on the Do Not Call Register or have their mobile phone numbers permanently barred);
• disclosures to law enforcement agencies for purposes relating to the enforcement of criminal and other laws;
• uses or disclosures to assist in the recovery of lost or stolen items;
• uses or disclosures in accordance with orders made by a court or if required or otherwise authorised by law;
• uses or disclosures to lessen or prevent serious threats to an individual’s life, health or safety, or to public health or safety; or
• uses or disclosures to assist in our internal investigations into suspected fraud or other unlawful activities.
When you apply for a job with us we may collect certain information from you, from any recruitment consultant and from your previous employers and others who may be able to provide information to us to assist us in our decision on whether or not to make you an offer of employment.
When you log onto The Big Umbrella website, we may store some information (called a ‘cookie’) about the date and time when you entered the website. We use this type of information to track the patterns of visitors and to examine trends and demographics. This may include identifying which areas on The Big Umbrella website are popular.
Cookies may be used to personalise your visit to The Big Umbrella website and to customise our service to your needs. They contain information about your preferences. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that your web browser transmits to your hard drive or mobile handset to enable our system to recognise your browser. This means that we are able to know information about you when you next visit our site, such as your IP address.
Cookies do not reveal your personal identity and are not personal information, but if you don’t want cookies to be collected by us, the Help option of your browser’s tool bar will tell you how to prevent cookies or disable cookies entirely. You can still use The Big Umbrella website even if you choose to disable cookies.
HOW SECURE IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We regard the security of your personal information as a priority and implement a number of physical and electronic measures to protect it. We remind you, however, that if you send information to The Big Umbrella website, the internet is not a secure environment and although all care is taken, we cannot guarantee the security of information you provide to us via electronic means.
HOW SECURE IS YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION?
When you provide us with credit card information, we take reasonable steps to ensure that it is kept secure by adopting the following practices:
• where collected through our website, ensuring that encryption standards and protocols are included within the on-line web page, databases and other supporting programs which are reasonably appropriate for the purpose of keeping the information secure;
• where collected through our website or by any other electronic means, refraining from storing any permanent record of that information, but instead transmitting that information to our payment gateway service provider on the basis that it be stored in accordance with applicable security standards (in which case it is stored and used by that service provider to process payments made by you to us).
• where collected through a manual form, providing a copy of the form to our bank on a confidential basis to allow payments made by you to us to be processed, and storing a copy of the form securely for a period of up to 7 years (at the conclusion of which that copy is destroyed) and limiting access to that copy to appropriate staff only.
• We do not otherwise disclose your credit card information to third parties.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION
We will provide you with access to most personal Information that we have about you, but sometimes that will not be possible, in which case we will tell You why. If you want to find out what information we have about you can email us at info@TheBigUmbrella.org. When you request access, we may need to take measures to verify your identity, such as by requiring your account and/or password details or other information, or by requiring your request to be in writing.
If you think that any personal Information we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may request us to correct that information. We will take reasonable steps to correct such personal information unless we disagree with you about whether the information is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
• have any queries or would like further information about our privacy policies or practices, or
• wish to make a complaint about the way we have collected, used, held or disclosed your personal information; or
• would like to tell us that you do not want us to use your personal information to contact you with information about products or services, please email us at info@TheBigUmbrella.org.