To help those who have no voice
The Big umbrella is committed to the principle that children should live free from poverty and exploitation.
As an NGO based in Australia, The Big Umbrella works with and funds international and local partners to address issues impacting on marginalised youth and children including those affected by human rights abuses, human trafficking, exploitation, forced labour and homelessness.
- To facilitate fundraising efforts and raise resources to support partner organisations servicing marginalized youth and children around the globe.
- To foster partnerships with local implementing organisations in order to enhance their efforts in providing rehabilitation and resources for marginalized children and youth.
- To raise awareness of the negative issues impacting marginalised children and youth.
We are finding this possible through the following activities and programs:
- Providing basic financial support;
- Providing a long term rehabilitation centre for former street children
- Finding temporary and permanent housing for children in need;
- Working in partnership with local drop in centre;
- Running programs such as “A ReaL MeaL’ Basic real meal food and clothing programs
- ‘Study 4 Change’ school training programs;
- re-entering school, scholarships;
- Assistance to government vocational training programs;
Building a connected community focusing on development is our goal; we believe that by providing the community with the strength to heal them selves and care for their own, we are also creating new initiatives and concepts to facilitate voluntourism; volunteer placements and travel tour opportunities to allow individuals to assist in helping others both overseas and within Australia while being on holiday.
Through our already formed partnerships with Australian schools, we aim to bring together students from Australia and overseas to bridge the gap and make giving fun for High School students. We are doing this by giving presentations to schools and inviting the schools to participate in their own Fund Raising events to raise monies which will go towards any and all TBU projects or as they wish a particular home, orphanage or drop in centre. This money will feed, clothe and educate the children in the houses along with offering medical support and counseling which will make the transition off the streets into their new home as easy as possible.
Within Australia we are very proud to be partnering with the Father Bob Maguire Foundation with the big umbrella house in Kathmandu. Father bob Magurie offered assistance when it came time to send the children back to school. Offering scholarships to all our children.
We are also working in partnership with Father Bob on a local level focusing on developing programs to help the marginalised youth, homeless and disadvantaged within local communities with the hope to share the plight of the victims of child trafficking from around the world a form of simple correspondence, emails between the two worlds not that un similar providing hope, and maybe even the determination to lead a better life for all .
We are currently running a weekly ‘A ReaL MeaL’ Soup Kitchens and ‘Skills for life’ training programs in Melbourne, Australia. Our goal is to eventually run these programs nationally.
Our local programs aim to:
- Provide a safe community space to meet and interact
- Provide “A ReaL MeaL’ free food program
- Conduct ‘Skills 4 Life’ Basic training programs
- Assist the homeless to find pathways to permanent employment
- Run ‘Clothes 4 kids’ a school clothing drive program
Our primary focus is to raise awareness both locally and globally around the issue of child trafficking and homelessness.
The Big Umbrella is a grassroots Non-Government Organisation (NGO) dedicated to fighting the fastest growing crime on the planet, the human trafficking and sex trade industry.